Nevada Administration/Principal Certification
The Nevada Department of Education offers an Administrator endorsement to qualified applicants who already hold a Nevada teaching license and wish to become elementary or secondary school principals, vice principals, superintendents, associate superintendents, or assistant superintendents.
To receive an Administrator endorsement, you must have at least a master’s degree and complete a program in educational leadership/educational administration for grades K-12. Among your courses:
- 24 semester hours must be at the graduate level and be focused on school administration, including:
- Organization/administration of schools
- Supervision/evaluation of instruction
- Personnel development
- School finances
- School law
- 12 semester hours must be at the graduate level and consist of general administrative courses for educators
<!- mfunc feat_school ->
Learn more about the graduate school process. Contact schools offering educational administration degree programs in Nevada.
- You must already have passed the Praxis I Basic Skills Exam and the Principles of Learning and Teaching Exam to attain your teaching license
- Although not required for licensure, most college/university programs in school administration require you to pass the Praxis II Educational Leadership: Administration and Supervision exam
- You must hold a Nevada teaching license and have at least three years of teaching experience
- You must complete an internship or field experience in a school administration program
Document and Application Requirements
Once you have completed the above requirements, fill out the Application for Additional Endorsement. Along with the application, submit:
- Official transcripts documenting receipt of at least a master’s degree and completion of a program in educational administration
- A copy of your Nevada teaching license
- Verification of three years of teaching experience
- Application fee
Mail all of the above to one of the Licensure Offices of the Nevada Department of Education: Northern Office, 700 East Fifth St., Suite 105, Carson City, NV 89701-5096; or Southern Office, 9890 South Maryland Parkway, Suite 231, Room 23405, Las Vegas, NV 89183.
Criminal History Background Check
As you already hold a Nevada teaching license, you need not undergo another criminal history background check to add an Administrator endorsement.
Contact an accredited institution to find out more about their educational leadership/administration programs.
Call the Licensure Office at 702-486-6458 for more information on administrator endorsements.