Montana Teacher Certification Renewal
Learn how to renew a Professional Educator Certification or reinstate a Professional Educator Certification in Montana
Teaching Certification Renewal
Your Class 2 Standard Montana Teaching License is valid for five years. To renew it, you must file the Application to Renew a Class 1, 2, 3, 4, 6 or 8 Montana Educator License. You must also complete a combination of college credits and OPI (Office of Public Instruction) renewal units from approved providers. One of the following credit combinations is required:
- 3 semester college credits and 15 OPI renewal units
- 4 semester college credits
- 4 quarter college credits and 20 OPI renewal units
- 5 quarter college credits and 10 OPI renewal units
- 6 quarter college credits
All college credits must be from regionally accredited institutions. College transcripts verifying credits must be sent directly to OPI. All OPI renewal units must be offered by approved providers and must meet these qualifications. Your school district can direct you toward obtaining appropriate OPI renewal units.
Mail your renewal application, fees and supporting documents to Montana Office of Public Instruction Attn: Educator Licensure P.O. Box 202501 Helena, MT 59620-2501.<!- mfunc feat_school ->
Reinstatement of Certification
Has your Montana teaching license lapsed? It may be possible to have your license reinstated. Follow the correct path below pertaining to your situation:
- Have you completed the correct number of college credits/OPI units for renewal? If so, file the Application to Reinstate a Montana Educator License. Have transcripts forwarded to OPI and mail everything to the above address. You must also complete the section requiring a new fingerprint card and background check.
- Have you not yet completed the requirements for renewal/reinstatement? You must apply for a Class 5 license. Use this Application for a Montana Class 5 Educator License. This will allow you to work in a Montana school district for three years while you complete renewal requirements.