New Mexico Teacher Reciprocity Agreements

New Mexico offers teachers from out-of-state the ability to earn New Mexico teaching certification based on previous
experience, education and certification from other states. Applicants will need to complete the following:

  • Earned Bachelor’s Degree or higher (from accredited institution)
  • Provide a copy of at least 1 current valid teaching license issued by a state
    education agency, Department of Defense School or foreign country that is comparable to
    the license they are seeking
  • Have completed a standard or alternative teacher preparation program
  • Provide copies of test scores for exams required to receive the license
  • Provide evidence of having satisfactorily taught under their out-of-state/country licenses; or
    combination of valid licenses

For more information, explore the New
Mexico Public Education Department website
or call (505) 827-5821.

The following are member states of the NASDTEC Interstate Agreement who have signed reciprocity agreements with New

Alabama Indiana New Hampshire Texas
Arizona Kansas New Jersey Utah
Arkansas LouisianaNew York Vermont
California Maine North Carolina Virginia
Colorado Maryland North Dakota Washington
Connecticut Massachusetts Oklahoma West Virginia
Delaware Michigan OregonWisconsin
Florida Mississippi Pennsylvania Wyoming
GeorgiaMissouri Rhode Island 
Hawaii Montana South Carolina 
Idaho Nebraska South Dakota 
Illinois Nevada Tennessee