Illinois Teacher Certification Renewal
Learn how to renew a Professional Educator Certification or reinstate a Professional Educator Certification in Illinois
Teaching Certification Renewal
After holding your Initial Teaching Certificate and teaching for four years, you may apply for your Standard Teaching Certificate. During these four years, you must also complete one of the following Professional Development options:
- Complete an approved Induction and Mentoring Program
- Receive an advanced degree
- Become certified by the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards (NBPTS)
- Complete 12 semester hours of graduate-level coursework
- Receive a Professional Development Certificate indicating 12 hours of study
- Receive another certificate or endorsement
- Become “Highly Qualified” in another teaching area under No Child Left Behind (NCLB) standards
- Complete 4 semester hours of graduate-level coursework in one of the following areas:
- Complete 60 Continuing Professional Development Units (CPDUs)
Once you receive your Standard Certificate, it is valid for five years, after which time it must be renewed. Illinois teaching certificates may be renewed online through the Educator Licensure Information System ELIS). At the time of renewal, you must submit an Assurance Statement online, listing the district and region in which you taught during the last year of your certificate’s validity. You must also submit the Professional Development activities you completed during the past five years online (choose from the above options). Your renewal request will be reviewed and a recommendation for renewal or non-renewal of your teaching certificate will be sent to the State Teacher Certification Board electronically.
Reinstatement of Certification
If you have not registered your Illinois teaching certificate with a regional superintendent of schools for six months or more, it will need to be reinstated. Use the Application for Reinstatement and mail it, along with an official transcript showing that you have earned nine semester hours of credit in your content area in the past five years, and the applicable fee, to Illinois State Board of Education, Educator Certification Division, 100 North First Street, S-306, Springfield, Illinois 62777-000. Contact the Educator Certification Division at 217-557-6763 for more information on reinstatement fees.