Idaho Teacher Certification Renewal
Learn how to renew a Professional Educator Certification or reinstate a Professional Educator Certification in Idaho
Teaching Certification Renewal
Your Idaho teaching certificate is valid for five years, at which time it must be renewed. You must complete six professional development credits during this five-year period prior to renewal of your certificate. Documentation of this professional development does not need to be submitted with your Renewal Application, but you must keep it in your files in case the State Board of Education conducts an audit. Certificate renewals may also be conducted online.
In order for professional development credits to count towards renewal, they must meet these conditions:
- They must be specifically related to your professional development as an educator
- They must be tied to the content areas in which you are certified to teach
- They must pertain to the pedagogical best practices of an educator
- At least three semester credits of the total of six professional development credits must be taken via college or university credit courses
- You may substitute in-service hours for up to three of the six semester credit hours required for certificate renewal. Document them via this form.
- You must provide official transcripts upon request to verify credits taken through an accredited college or university.
Reinstatement of Certification
If you wish to reinstate an Idaho teaching certificate/credential that has been expired for a year or more, you may receive a non-renewable interim certificate good for three years. This will enable you to complete the requirements necessary to receive a standard five-year certificate. File this form to begin the reinstatement process. View this link for more details.